"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."
" Faith makes life possible. Hope makes life workable. Love makes life beautiful."

The Winwards

The Winwards

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

December 15 2008

Tanner James Winward arrived ealy Monday morning 12-15-08 @ 12:24 AM! I had a csection schedule for 12-18, but Tanner had another idea! Don't mind the date on the pics, the date was off!

My water broke @ around 10 pm, Sunday 12-14-08. Being clueless, at first I though I had just peed my pants. But when it kept coming, I knew it was different....This of course freaked me out, and it was not in "my plan". Didn't even have time to pack my bag, so we went the hospital with nothing but the clothes on our back, my purse, and the camera!

Once there, things moved pretty quickly. Got an IV, pain meds for the many contractions that I was having, and Emergency Csection scheduled for Midnight! I was wheeled down to the OR @ about 11:30 pm, and received my Spinal. I was so nervous about it, but it really didn't hurt at all! The only part that hurt was the local numbing shots that I got before the spinal, those sting! Once the spinal was administed, I was laid down and soon my legs and feet got really warm and tingley. Definitely a weird feeling! They then got me all setup before they brought Ray! Ray actually did a lot better than I thought he would, considering the fact that he hates needles and blood. He was actually only in the OR for about 5 min before Tanner was out. The only "painful" part about the csection was the immense pressure that I felt. It was way more intense than I had thought it would be, but it didn't last long as I was given something to help with it.

I cried when I heard Tanner cry. It was the sweetest sound I've ever heard! He was born @12:24 AM, weighed in @ 7lbs 3oz and 20 inches long! And does he ever have some lungs on him! I got to see him briefly before he was whisked away to the NICU. As many of you know, he was born with spina bifida. Below is a picture of his defect before surgery. He was also born with club feet. I only have 1 picture showing them, I didn't want a lot of pics showing his defects because I don't want them "defining" who he really is!

After recovery I was taken to my room, disappointed and afraid that I wasn't going to get to see Tanner again before he was transported to Phoenix Childrens Hospital. I talked to my nurse about it, and she was not happy about that! She said that they were supposed to take me by the NICU before they brought me to my room for post partum screening. She was able to pull some strings, and I was wheeled down on a gurney down to the NICU. I got to spend 2 hours with my little man before the transport came for him. I got to hold him for a few minutes and touch him! Greatest moment of my life! It amazes me how much I love him! And he is just so darn cute!

Tanner had his back closure surgery later that day (12-15-08) @ 1pm. It lasted about 45 minutes and went well. His head size is currently normal, but they think that is due to the fact that the myleo(sack over opening) was open @ birth. There are some advantages to that, as his brain was able to develop normally, but it increases the chance of infection. His first bowel movement was also in the fluid @ birth, so he is on antiboitics for both to eliminate the chance of infection. He has another head ultrasound scheduled for Today, to check on the fluid in his head. The neuro is anticipating a shunt, but he is all about the "wait and see" method, so I'm happy about that. The neuro said he won't put in a shunt, unless its absolutely necessary. The feeling in his legs seems to for sure go down to the middle of his calf, and possibly further. The neuro says he will definitely walk! Most likely he will have AFO's, but I'm totally fine with that!

Tanner has bilateral club feet, and they are going to be addressing those once he is able to lay on his back, which will be approx Thurs or Fri this week! He will also have a renal ultrasound to determine what his bladder and bowel capabilities are. Which currently seem to be working on their own! He has already peed on 3 nurses!

It is currently estimated that Tanner should be ready to come home Monday or Tuesday next week! Just in time for Christmas! I am so excited that I am finally a Mom!

I have been pumping, and the first time Tanner ate.... he got my milk! I'm not able to get enough to sustain him yet, so my milk is being given along with some formula. I am praying for my milk to come in by the time he is able to come home!

Things really couldn't have worked out better for us, and I feel so blessed! Ray, adores Tanner!

I would like to thank all my family and friends for your constant support & advice as I struggled through my pregnancy. You are all right, the pregnancy is the hard part! All my apprehensions and fears melted away once I saw Tanner!

I'm sure I'll have good days and bad days as things start to unfold, but I'll handle it one way or another

No comments: